Lesson 3: Your first swim
The information in this lesson is related to pool swimming only. Head over to our open water section to see information about swimming in this mode.
Now that your goggles are paired to the app, and are adjusted for a comfortable fit, you're ready for your first swim!
Before you head to the pool for the first swim, you will want to:
- make sure your goggles are charged and running on the latest software and firmware version
- bring with you the other size nose bridges in case you want to make some last minute adjustments on the deck
At the pool, put on your goggles and get in the water!
1. Turn on the goggles by holding the FRONT button until the display turns on.
2. From the main menu, choose "swim."
3. Choose the appropriate pool size from one of the options, or add a custom or unknown length using the buttons to navigate. You can set a custom pool length up to three decimal places.
4. Choose a swim mode:
- "Lap swim" is for swimming lengths or a more relaxed swim
- "Interval swim" is for swimming sets with short rest times
5. Once you are ready, press the FRONT button to start. Push off from the wall and the goggles will detect the movement and start the timer.
The motion detector bar
The motion detector bar along the bottom of the display indicates when the goggles detect movement. When you start swimming, the bar fills up, and the timer starts based on the time you pushed off. If you notice the bar filling up when you’re not swimming, hold still until the bar is completely empty.
During the swim
The goggles use head movement and other points of reference to detect what you are doing: swimming, turning and resting. Depending on which of these you are doing, you will see a different dashboard. You can read more about dashboards here.
You can use drills mode when performing skill-based drills (e.g., kicks, single-arm freestyle). If you perform drills outside drills mode, the goggles may not correctly track your stroke and distance. In drills mode, only time is tracked and displayed on screen. When exiting drills mode, you can manually adjust the estimated distance. To access drills mode during a swim, press any button to enter the pause menu then select drills.
Pausing or ending your swim
If you need to adjust your goggles or make some movement that is not swimming or turning, we recommend you pause the swim so that the goggles do not misinterpret your movements. You can do this by pressing either button. You can then resume the swim, access drills mode, discard and quit or save and quit your swim.
If you leave the goggles in pause or in swim mode and do not properly save or discard your swim, your goggles may remain on until the battery eventually drains. If you leave the goggles on outside of swim mode (after you have saved or discarded your swim), they will automatically shut themselves down after 20 minutes. We recommend turning them off manually, though, by holding down the FRONT button until the display turns off.